Lake Michigan (Ohio Street Beach)

After a weekend of hectic travel on planes, trains, and automobiles I finally stepped into the water at Lake Michigan. We had taken the weekend to visit with Nate's Illinois family and celebrate Cousin Joe's wedding. Nate had been battling a strong fever but my only excuse was jet lag when we sluggishly walked down to the shore at Ohio Street beach. A brief but strong shower of rain had nearly cleared out the large group of triathletes that were congregated there only an hour earlier but I was comforted to see a few swimmers suiting up near the cement wall and a steady stream of runners, bikers, and walkers on the bike path that followed the water's edge. I knew I must be in the right place. Nate agreed to walk along the water and take a temperature reading for me further out and I promised to make it a quick swim and stay near the wall. I admit I felt a bit of California pride getting in the water in my hot pink bikini amongst my fully wet-suited counterparts. The water felt great and the waves had a longer roll to them more similar to the ocean swell than the short crested boat chop of the Sacramento area lakes. The waves had a push instead of a punch and the clarity was surprisingly high. I did a loop out to the harbor opening and then headed back. About half way back I ran into a man standing in the middle (it was only about 4 ft deep in some places near the wall). He was catching his breath and we chatted for a bit then I headed back to shore. Although it was short, it was a fantastic swim. There were great conditions, people all around, nothing funky in the water, nothing to be scared of, and not to cold. It was the perfect swimming porridge for Goldilocks - it was just right.